Saturday, April 10, 2010

PR Faculty Award of Merit


Dr. Plowman and me with my award.

Yesterday was pretty great! Camille was my special guest and we went to the BYU Conference Center. They had a nice lunch, which we didn't partake of, and then they had the award ceremony. You can feel like you were there for the whole event without all the other speeches for people you don't know by watching the video!

The PR Faculty Award of Merit was given to three outstanding PR students, usually seniors. I got a lot of really nice compliments from my professors afterward for their appreciation and consent for the award I received.

It is interesting to note that when I applied to the PR program in the beginning of 2007, I had an interview with one of the professors. It was her last interview and she actually fell asleep while we were talking. She didn't seem to be impressed with me at all. Well, long story short, I got notification that I was not accepted into the program and it devastated me. I had just broken up with my fiance, just recently had knee surgery and couldn't get the doctor's clearance because of complications, had issues with getting permission to go on my mission because of health and funding, and on and on. So getting rejected from my major was just one more discouraging thing. However, it made it much easier to decide to put my mission papers in, instead of continuing on with my studies because I didn't even have a major. I submitted my papers finally after many months of waiting and complications. Meanwhile, I went in to talk to one of my favorite first professors, Dr. Wilson, and told her that I really wanted to be in PR and that I felt like I should be admitted. I explained to her that I wasn't sure what happened during my interview but I didn't feel like I got a fair chance. She told me she would do what she could. I guess she went in there and fought for me because not too long later, they admitted me as one of the alternates. I then received my mission call to Houston and so I deferred school and went on the mission. Dr. Wilson, my professor who helped me, came up to me after the awards banquet and gave me a big hug.

Dr. Wilson, my first PR professor.

Dr. Wilson said, "When we met as a committee of all the PR faculty, I reminded them that just three years or so ago, I was arguing vehemently to admit Rhapsody into the program and now we are selecting her as top PR student. " She expressed how proud she was of me and seemed to see my potential that I didn't even know I had.

I know Heavenly Father has it all worked out. If I would have been admitted easily into the program, I don't know if I would have gone on a mission at the time I did. I know Heavenly Father guided me even though it seemed like the world crashed in on me. He knew the plan and knows it now. I trust Him and love Him.

There was an error publishing my video so I'll try again later.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Rhapsody! What an awesome award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't update your blog I might get desperate and change your profile picture on facebook...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Rhapper. The legacy continues.

    Nice to have those kind of challenges under your belt Rhap. Couldn't have happened to a nicer girl!

    Muchos love, and may your star continue to shine with continued polishing.

    ReplyDelete