Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Absolute worse scenario!



The most horrific thing in the whole world which could happen to a computer lab employee happened to me today. I feel mortified and now I have an outlet to release my emotions so you get to hear about it.

Well, I was visiting the labs and went to the SWKT. There was a guy who I recognized there who worked at the MTC. He was kind of pacing back and forth by the scanners. I offered to help him and he said he need to scan something but the other scanner was being used. I told him about the new, sweet multi-page scanner which is super easy and fast to use. I sat down with him and we put his document in to scan. It was an important book receipt that had the refund policy stapled to the back. He was probably scanning it for tax purposes or something. So I pressed the magical blue button and it started to scan. It slurped up that paper so fast and crinkled them a little but eventually spit them out and ripped off the bottom portion. I was scared but it was just the bottom corner that go ripped so it was ok. But, the patron chose the wrong program to scan into and so it was doing text recognition and it turned out all weird so we had to scan it again. Well, I was smarter this time and I changed the document width with the little sliders and fit it to the receipt. I prepped it all up and pressed that magical button....

And to my horror, it started grinding the receipt and ripping it through. I looked at the bottom of the scanner and there was only a piece of the receipt left but the scanner was still grinding away. Part of the torn receipt had gotten stuck in the gears and was continuing to be torn. I ripped the power cord out and made the madness stop. I then took apart the scanner and got the remains of the receipt and apologized like crazy. I was so mortified. He said, "It's ok. Do you have some tape?" By that time, that girl on the normal scanner was done and I rushed to get the tape. He jumped on that computer and taped his receipt together. I sulked back to my desk chair and just had to sit there for a little while to gain composure. It was terrible to say the least.

I think one of the worst parts about the experience was that I knew the guy from the MTC. We worked together and I knew he knew me and I knew him but not that well. Obviously, I'm not still working at the MTC and I just obliterated his material at my current job. Nice. Good track record and slightly embarrassing.

1 comment:

  1. Next time you see this guy- just give him a little *wink. HA!

    ReplyDelete